Friday 8 February 2013

Intermezzo

I'm catching up on UK-US spelling differences and observe in horror the way my usage butchers both spellings. 
In all honesty, I do favour British spelling wherever I'm aware of distinction. Still, I'm more often than not ignorant in proper word usage. And usually make mush in expressing myself.

On the lighter side, THIS funny bit caught my attention:
disc or disk: Traditionally, disc used to be British and disk American. Both spellings are etymologically sound (Greek diskos, Latin discus), although disk is earlier. In computing, disc is used for optical discs (e.g. a CD, Compact Disc; DVD, Digital Versatile/Video Disc), by choice of the group that coined and trademarked the name Compact Disc, while disk is used for products using magnetic storage (e.g. hard disks or floppy disks, also known as diskettes).
I failed to see the distinction between optical-disc, magnetic-disk on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.