Friday 17 April 2009

The nomo...

After seven years of reflection in vain, the solution came to me suddenly with the thought that out concepts and laws of space and time can only claim validity in so far as they stand in a clear relation to our experiences, and that experience could very well lead to the alteration of these concepts and laws. By a revision of the concept of simultaneity into a more malleable form I thus arrived at the special theory of relativity.

(Albert Einstein, 1924)

I stumbled across this last night, and it reminded me of... well now - the nomological-deductive model of scientific explanation! Choose not experience, but the absolute as a reference. Which is exactly what the over-hyped theory of relativity says.
I may not admire Mr. Einstein very much, but this got a big smile on my behalf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.